Saturday, June 26, 2010

Etched Coasters!

My little project today is so simple, but I really love it! I have made lots of tile coasters with vinyl initials, fleur de lis, swirls, etc.
They look great and are quite useful for cold drinks. I have seen the vinyl ripple and curl if you put a really hot drink on the tile.
Yesterday I was in Lowe's and found myself in the flooring isle. I found these glazed tiles on clearance for 32 cents each. Immediately I knew I had to try using the glass etching cream to see if I could etch a permanent design into them.
I bought 2...one light blue, one dark. I wanted to see if one showed better than the other. They have these tiles in numerous colors, but only these 2 were clearance.Cut your vinyl design then take out your design (leave the negative space). You want to leave the surrounding to protect your tile. I should have left a wider edge on the vinyl, but I wasn't thinking. I put the vinyl onto the tile. Make sure you have no bubbles around the edges of the design.

Cover the tile with a generous coating of the etching cream. I used a q-tip to apply it. Don't be afraid to lay it on thick. You can scrap your etching cream right back into the bottle (as long as it hasn't dried out).


Here is the dark blue. These were just samples to see if this would work, so I didn't worry too much about getting the design on straight. I am normally pretty anal about that.
See how thick that is? That is how you want it.

Here is the tile after I waited the necessary amount of time and wiped it down.
You can see it has lost it's shine! I was excited to get the vinyl off and see how it turned out.
Off it comes.....Here is the powder blue after it has been wiped off. The edges are still damp, but the rest has dried. You can really see the fleur de lis!
The darker blue worked quite well too!
Here is another shot of the powder blue. Now, simply cut either felt or a thin layer of cork to line the back. This step isn't 100% needed, but it will prevent your tile from scratching the finish of your wood furniture and give your tile a little cushion if your children are as gentle as mine are. :)
So that is is! All you need is:
vinyl or contact paper with a design cut out
etching cream (i have had that bottle for over a year, it lasts forever!)
glazed tiles- I used 4x4 tiles
cork or felt to line the back
q-tips or a small brush to apply cream
This only took about 10 minutes start to finish! Package 4 together in a cellophane goodie bag and tie with a pretty ribbon and you have a great gift!


8 comments:

  1. Thats so cool. A great Handmade gift idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the dark blue one! Thanks for following me on my blog. I am following back! :) Happy Weekend to you.

    ~Lori

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I like this a lot!! I etched a lot of clear glasses and vases for my wedding...and I never thought about tiles!! :) Love it! Think I'll use it for a wedding gift coming up!! Thanks!

    I'm a new follower! Saw you over at Saturday Nite Special!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I adore this project. It is going in my style file for sure!

    Happy 4th of July!

    ReplyDelete
  5. excellent tutorial ! i love fleur de lis and the tiles are great

    do share it with our readers and get yourself a link back here from our pr3-pr4 site:
    http://www.finecraftguild.com/diy-tutorial-linky-party-4/

    rose

    ps when you get around to it, please open your NAME/URL comment option so I can leave comments easily on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great work that you did,and it is really a great and superb pleasure to see some of the greatest and outstanding stuff that you share,so i will say thanks for sharing this great stuff.


    Dissertation|Dissertations Writing UK

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lot of people who wants to do something great benefits from here. ZMA

    ReplyDelete